Some of the most beautiful things in the world are created by nature. The butterfly wing is one of those things. Bring a little bit of that beauty into your every day wardrobe with this stunning pendant!
Peru is home to 20% of the earth's butterfly species. It's the ideal place to establish butterfly preserves for the purpose of study and protection of these marvelous creatures. This cooperative has paired with one such preserve and they've found a way to capture their beauty for years to come. When the butterflies die of natural causes, some in as short a span as 3 to 4 months, the wings are picked up and used for jewelry. Each wing is carefully cut, mounted, and enclosed by silver plated nickel. The front and back of the wing are covered with acrylic glass so both sides can be seen and the pendant is fully reversible. The artisans are paid 50% up front so they have money for supplies and to support their family while they are making the jewelry. Due to the unique pattern on every butterfly wing, slight variations will occur.
- Made by hand in Peru
- Sterling silver plated over nickel
- Species: Diaethria Clymena
- Pendant measures approximately 1-3/8" long including drop
- No kill butterfly wings with acrylic "glass" on both sides
- Image is representative of the general pattern and color of the species. Due to the nature of butterfly wings, exact patterning is different on every pair, making each one unique.
Find our full selection of butterfly wing earrings and pendants here.